Useful info on traveling Iceland by motorhome

Our Useful Info page is meant to give you an insight into what you might have to prepare for before traveling to Iceland.

Here below you can find our frequently asked questions. You can as well watch our tutorial videos on how to operate our motorhomes!

For more travel information on all-things Icelandic, we recommend that you visit Travelade. They have guides and blogs on almost everything you can think of. The best places to visit, the best restaurants and of course where you can find the best nature pools!

Seljavallalaug pool in Iceland
Seljavallalaug pool


  • expand_moreWhat are your opening hours?

    We offer 24/7 service at the Keflavik International Airport. How ever, pick-up and drop-off times for motorhomes are between 08:00 and 20:00 all days. Just be sure to make your booking at the expected arrival and return time and supply us with your flight number so we know when to expect you and we'll be at the office to hand you the car when you arrive.

  • expand_moreAm I allowed to drive on F-roads?

    You may not drive on mountain or highland roads, or roads marked “F” on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes. The renter/driver may not drive the car where prohibited by law, i.e. off beaten tracks or marked roads, in unmarked paths or tracks, on beaches or other sandy areas, or any other trackless areas. Damage incurred while crossing rivers or large streams will not be covered by any insurance so any river crossing should be done with extreme caution. When planning a trip to Iceland we highly recommend planning your trip in advance and check out the road conditions before you set off. Up to date information about road conditions can be found here:

  • expand_moreWhat is included in the rental?

    CDW = Collision Damage Waiver is included in all rentals. That sets the excess of the renter ISK 500.000. Prices include unlimited kilometers and 24% local Value Added Tax (VSK). Online payments carry no service charge.

  • expand_moreHow old do I have to be to rent a car?

    The renter/driver shall be at least 23 years old, and shall have held a valid driver’s license for at least one year before the rental commences.

  • expand_moreWhat is NOT covered by my basic insurance?

    1. Intentional damages or damages caused by gross negligence on the part of the renter.

    2. Damages resulting from the driver being under the influence of controlled or illegal substances, or in any other way being unable to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.

    3. Damages occurred by a race or test driving.

    4. Damages occurred by war, revolution, civil unrest, or riots.

    5. Damages caused by animals.

    Holes and marks burned into seats, carpets, or mats.

    Damages affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting from this.

    Damages caused by driving on rough roads, e.g. to the transmission, the drive or drive shaft, and other parts in or attached to the chassis. Damages to the chassis, or any part of the car, resulting from the vehicle scraping bottom on rough roads. The same applies to damages occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the car while being driven. The underside of the car is not insured.

    Damages resulting from driving in places where driving is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas. The car is not insured when crossing rivers or driving in water of any kind. River crossing must be done with extreme care.

    Damages to the car caused by driving on mountain roads and roads marked F on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes. (This does not extend to 4wd and all wheel drive cars accepted by Geysir for use on mountain roads – approved cars are insured on all marked roads and tracks).

    Water damages to the car, its electrical system, accessories or engine.

    Damages caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kind of earth material being blown onto the vehicle.

    No compensation will be paid for damage caused by sea spray/seawater, if the vehicle is transported by sea.

    Reference is made to the general conditions for accident insurance (Icelandic: kaskótrygging) as set by TM insurance company at

  • expand_moreWhat documents will I need when I pick up the car?

    The renter/driver of the car has to present a valid driver's license (does not have to be an international one) and a valid credit card.

  • expand_moreMy card keeps getting rejected, I know I have sufficient funds on it. What can I do?

    Our payment gateway will only tell us that the card was approved or declined, for security reasons it never reveals more information. The first thing you may want to check is the obvious; "are all my card details entered correctly". If you bank outside of Iceland you may want to check if your bank has an upper limit on transactions outside your banking country and temporarily raise that for the rental payment. Your bank may also impose a general upper limit on your card for a given time period even if your card has the funds to cover the rental.

  • expand_moreI don't trust online card payments, are you safe to use?

    We use a PCI certified payment provider to process your card payment over an encrypted and secure connection. No one within our company even gets to see your card details, and they are not at any time stored in our systems as they get sent directly to the payment provider in a separate encrypted transmission. Once approved the provider gives sends us a transaction id for us to keep along with the four last digits of your card number for your reference. Full card details are never, ever stored in any of our systems, so in the unlikely event that we were to experience a security breach there would be nothing of value for anyone there. Our payment provider does, as per our terms and conditions, store account details for us in case we need to request coverage for post rental incidental cost.

  • expand_moreDo you have GPS units for rent?
    Yes we do. Just add it in “Extras” when you order your car/Camper.
  • expand_moreWho is authorized to drive the vehicle?
    The only people authorized to drive the vehicle are those who are named on the contract as the main driver or additional driver.
  • expand_moreWhat happens if the car breaks down?

    We have a very ambitious Road Side Assistance team that is available 08:00 - 20:00. If you have any problems with the motorhome you can contact the roadside assistance team and they will find a solution to your problems.

    The number is +354 455 0002 If there is an emergency it is OK to call after opening hours.

  • expand_moreWhat happens if I have a collision

    In the event of a collision or accident, the renter shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as Geysir of the incident. The renter may not leave the scene before the police have arrived or an accident report has been filled out. The renter is obligated to report any damages to the car to Geysir, regardless of any collision damage waivers (CDW / SCDW / ZE) assigned to the rental.

  • expand_moreAre there any hidden fees?

    There are no hidden fees. The calculator on our website gives you the total amount you have to pay, including all extra cost and 24% local Value Added Tax. You can at any time add any extras such as extra insurance or GPS before or when picking up the Motorhome.